A Free PPG Member Webinar
Presented by Patience Fisher
PPAB - 1 CEU
This cursory course on the house cat will touch on all things a cat owner should know in order to prevent unwanted behaviours in their house cat. A brief overview of ethology, domestication, socialisation, and communication will lay the foundation for how to set up your house and interact with your cat.
The unique needs of a house cat will be detailed including placement and use of the litter box and scratching posts/pads, play time, feeding, vertical space, privacy, consistency, establishing a good relationship, and desensitising the cat to carriers, claw trimming, and pills. The importance of observing behaviour to catch medical problems will be explained, as well as the importance of not letting bad habits continue without seeking professional help.
- Understand ethology and domestication of the house cat
- Learn about cat's communication and socialisation
- Understand the importance of providing a secure, stress-free territory for an indoor cat
- Learn the correct use and placement of litter boxes and scratching posts/pads
- Understand how to promote a good relationship with your cat and how to monitor health
- Learn about playing with your cat to promote good behaviour
- Learn how to make a good behaviour become a habit
- Learn how to desensitise your cat to the carrier, claw trims, and pills
- Listen to a brief overview of what a cat behaviour consultant does
About The Presenter
Patience Fisher owns Walk, Play, Learn!, a Pittsburgh, U.S.A. based pet service. Started in 2012 as a pet sitting and dog walking service, she is now offering cat behaviour consultations. Patience volunteered at shelters for four years, helping with cat adoptions and specialising in fostering cats with behavioural problems.
Patience holds a BS Biology from Lehigh University. She is a Certified Veterinary Assistant through AAHA/Cedar Valley College. Recently she received a Diploma of Feline Science Behavior Science and Technology from the Companion Animal Science Institute.
Patience is also a freelance editor, specialising in life science manuscripts, especially those concerning animals. Prior to that she was an environmental analyst for 14 years, preparing environmental documents for certification of highway and public utility projects.